PBS KIDS Writers Contest 2017
WTVP is inspiring great ideas with the 2017 PBS Kids Writers Contest. This is an engaging way to involve in kindergarten through third graders in creative writing!
About the Contest
This writing contest is open to all kids in kindergarten, first, second and third grades. Entries can be prose or poetry, fiction or non-fiction, biographical or total invention and must be supported by original illustrations. Entries are due to WTVP by May 5th and local winners will be announced in June. All local winners will be treated to prizes and a party in the WTVP Studio and their stories will be featured on the station's website. Creative writing encourages children to think developing skills and confidence as they go. Find a the story that your child has to tell.
Entry forms and complete rules with word counts and formatting instructions are available below. Or call Mary Heinemann at 309-495-0595. Deadline to enter is May 5, 2017.
Entry forms and complete rules:
Need help writing your story? Check out these activity sheets and writing resources:
Need inspiration and story ideas? Check out the stories from our previous winners.
Some things to remember:
- Word counts matter!
- Kindergarten and 1st grade stories: Minimum of 50 words and a Maximum of 200 words
- 2nd and 3rd grade stories: Minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words
- The word count includes “a,” “an,” and “the,” but not the words on non-story pages such as the title page or those that enhance the illustrations.
- Cover page is not required but very popular with judges. (Do not include in word count but do include in page numbering.)
- Invented spelling is accepted.
- Stories must have at least 5 original, clear and colorful illustrations.
- Original art can include drawings, collages, and 3-D created by the author or photographs taken by the author.
- Stories must be created on one side of the paper and numbered on the back of each page.
- Deadline is March 25, 2016. Stories may be post marked or delivered to WTVP by 5:00 p.m. The station is located at 101 State Street, Peoria IL 61602.
Watch the 2013 Local Winners Party:
The PBS KIDS Writers Contest is produced by PBS and based on the Reading Rainbow® Young Writers and Illustrators Contest, a concept developed by WNED-TV, Buffalo..